Lead

Jan 25 17 8:17 AM

Tags : :

Avoiding the Sulfur TrapBy Jackie Nix, Animal Nutritionist, Ridley Block Operations  The Negative Effects of Excess Sulfur
Sulfur toxicity. The margin between desirable and harmful concentrations of sulfur in a ruminant diet is surprisingly small. When excessive amounts of sulfur are present (greater than the ability of the rumen microbes to utilize it), the excess sulfur is absorbed into the animal’s bloodstream as sulphides. Sulphides are toxic and often result in reduced appetite and growth rate. Necrosis of neural tissues can also occur. In addition, some sulfur-compounds can destroy thiamine activity.Many now believe that development of PEM (polioencephalomalacia) is more closely tied with excess sulfur rather than thiamine deficiency. Classic symptoms of PEM include animals that often press their head against a wall or post or become “star gazers”, where they stand with their head back over the shoulders looking up at the sky. If not treated with thiamine, most affected animals will die within 48 hours. “See: Mineral Interactions. http://www.stockadebrands.com/articles/all/avoiding-the-sulfur-trap/

My goal is and always has been, to treat all my animals humanely, to uphold or improve the image of the beef industry, while at the same time maximizing my profit in a safe manner.