Lead

Oct 25 16 8:03 AM

Tags : :

Wayne Scott Sutton,

Re: 

I am not sure where I could find a workable nich

I rarely ever recommend anyone just starting out in the cattle business look for a niche market to go into. You would be far better off starting out by using only one segment of the existing beef supply chain. Ie cow/calf, baby calves, feeder calves.

By doing this you will have a ready existing supply and demand for your end product. Where as with a niche operation there is a limited supply which will cause you to invest more and you will have to develop your own demand/market.

In short, niche markets are more risky and require more investment money and time.

All of which effects profitability and may not fit your operation or personal life.

Last Edited By: Sir Loin Oct 25 16 8:06 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Oct 25 16 8:37 AM

Wayne,

Re:

It is more like an expensive hobby

Now that you got right, if it's not done correctly.

As with many other hobbies I have even seen hobby farmers end up in a divorce over it.

The two main causes being finances and time. ( time spent away from spouse and family )

What will separate you from being a hobby farmer is showing a profit and therefor you must keep records. You don't need to micro manage, all you need is a simple monthly cost/income statement.

Last Edited By: Sir Loin Oct 25 16 8:40 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help